Often people are faced with the task of arranging furniture to use the space in a room efficiently. For the design challenge at the end of this unit, students will be asked to do exactly that in their own classroom. To prepare for the challenge, students will be learning how to compare the sizes of different objects against each other. They will learn about measuring different attributes, including length, width, and different measuring units.
List of lessons in this unit:
- Why do we need measuring tools?
- What could be used as a measuring tool?
- Comparing the sizes of different objects.
- Comparing the strengths and weaknesses of various measuring tools.
- Permutations on the lesson.
- Design challenge: build a measuring tool to measure the space and furniture of the classroom.